Skip to main content

Classroom Set-up

I'm finally back in the building! Not unlike every other year, I have spent a few agonizing moments trying to come up with an idea or two for a comfortable classroom arrangement. Generally, I like to group my children in ways that help facilitate collaboration. My still partially packed classroom offers up no inspiration.
Sometimes I trick myself into believing that I will wait until the first day of school and let the students decide on a theme. Then, I tell myself that I will let the exiting class of students choose for the next year. Neither of those has ever actually happened! So here I am, looking at these wall wondering what will capture my students' imaginations and inspire them to become avid readers and profound thinkers. I always try to think of ideas that are fresh and relevant so that my students are excited about being in this space with me for 3 1/2 hours each day. I look through magazines, books, blogs, children's television stations, you name it, searching for inspiration. This year, I decided that I would go with a Hollywood Stars theme, but it's not going to be very pronounced. I think just a splash here and there will do nicely. That will lead the way for putting a "Spotlight" on each of the core subjects I teach.

My Classroom 2014-2015

I decided to go with two table groups of 6, three groups of 4 and one group of 2. This will work nicely and it feels comfortable as I walk around the room. The spacing seems just about perfect and I'm happy with it! I love to have vibrant colors in my room. It just makes me feel good! The neon green table baskets, colorful bulletin board and rug adds a nice pop. There are also neon green and purple stools in the small group area that stand out nicely too!

Small Group Area
The small group area affords me a clear view of the entire room as I work with students here. Love the bright chairs (they're actually garden tables I found at a discount store).

Library (part 1)
Here I have titled the library "Red Carpet Reading" to go along with the Hollywood stars theme. There is also a movie camera above the reading bulletin board.


Word Wall

This is our word wall. The door is covered with red butcher paper and framed with film strip border paper. Of course we have to spotlight our words with the light at the bottom!


Data Wall
I framed the data board with film strip border paper and added reels of film to the top and bottom. 

Hollywood Props!

Finally, I have some star awards, a top hat, feather boa, and sunglasses that will be used as rewards throughout the year.  

My Classroom 2014-2015
What are your plans for your classroom this year?  I'd love to hear from you. Please follow Hoottastic and comment below!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lap Books!

Savvy Sentences and Perky Punctuation Lap books are a fun and creative way for students to interact with material they are learning. According to Edgar Dale's Cone of Experience, learners remember 70% of what they say , and write , and 90% of what they do as they perform a task (Dale, 1946). To that end, interactive lap books that allow students to manipulate materials directly connected to the learning will increase their rate of retention. A quick internet search gives you hundreds of ideas on how to incorporate lapbooks into your curriculum as well as endless possibilities of what to include in them. Here are a few that I have created for use in my classroom. Savvy Sentences and Perky Punctuation This interactive lapbook allows for endless practice with creating the various types of sentences. The pocket holds sample sentence cards for students to self-assess. 50 States Interactive Book 50 States Interactive Book : This is a hands on approach to learning the

Back to School 2014-2015!

As the summer draws to a close, I find myself brimming with excitement for a new year of learning! To channel that energy, I've been working on a "Back to School To Do List" that will help me focus on my goals for the year to come. I've set some interesting and challenging goals for myself this year, but they are designed to help me improve my teaching. What goals and ideas are on your To-Do List for the new school year? I'd love to hear from you!